View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Hat trick on the turn

The board depends on who calls, and it has to be the type of players that are always looking for the trap and to avoid it. We will take for example 3 players that are not super calling stations but not good either. They are low risk players that are generally weak tight. They all check twice on a board of Q852 rainbow.

Since the pot is small and I have position I can make assumptions about their hands by everyone NOT betting the turn. If I have a super calling station anywhere in there I probably won't bet as no matter what because him auto calling will induce others to call also because now the pot gets larger. But if the players are of reasonable intelligence then I know someone in later position on the turn might bet the board with a draw, an 8, or a 5. Since none did I represent that I slowplayed a set especially on a borken board like that on the flop. Most of the time I get 1-2 players thinking hard about calling then fold. Or if I smell a weak player making a value bet with some small pair or draw that is capable of folding or checking the river and is not a calling station I might raise with ace high.

These situations are very rare but I have been in them around a 30 times or so times during my last 2 years.

But recently (this month) I was able to pull it off 4 times in a row and I got reminded of this. So I posted the questions.

I read players well what can I say. I can smell weakness. I just wish I listened to my instincts more, they are right 95% of the time.

And I think you are not giving players some credit. Even fish can subconsciously notice certain timing and betting patterns of players. They can identify when someone is trying to trap, slowplay, or bluff. Not all but more than you think. Instincts come from seeing a pattern so many times that your mind registers it subconsciously and applies the knowledge later. If a fish plays a lot he can develope some skills like this. I am just trying to use their instincts against them.

I have had times when playing 4 tables that I was delayed in a decision at table C while playing a hand on table A. The opponent on table C took my delay as weakness and kept being aggressive. Of course the reason he did is because by accident my betting timing and pattern changed for that hand, but not because I was thinking but because I was busy. Thus the player misread my play and took that as a sign of weakness and pressed a losing hand anyways.

I wanted to know if others do this also online and see if there were other little tricks anyone knew about. Other players teach me little things all the time I use in poker.

Most players online are pretty much ABC and adjust to others by their GT+. Thats fine for 3/6 2/4 even 5/10. Maybe these little signs are not apparent to them.

Poker Mentor (Dan) is an associate of mine. He plays better poker than I do. His analytical skills and math skills are far superior than mine, but he can't smell out a bluff to save his life. he plays based on math and analysis not player tells. His tell skills are weak in my opinion. He's a difference player. Thinks my reads are crazy even though I am right most of the time.