View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 12:44 AM

Default rebuy tournaments

Regarding tournaments which offer unlimited rebuys before the break, the only limit being that you must be below the original buyin:

which is true . . .

A) rebuy tournaments are not 'real' tournaments. You are pitted against opponants who play with reckless abandon because they can rebuy at the speed of thought. Even tight play does not prevent them winning some hands where they were not favored, meaning I will have to rebuy because they play like drunken sailers.

B) The rebuy does increase the varience, but all that loose money pumped in is +EV for the competant player.

OK/ for better or worse, i am playing them so question #2:

which is true:

A) my performance is a ratio of my buyins to my wins, so I want to avoid rebuys unless neccessary.

B) I am going to get opportunities to go all in when I am very confident I am a heavy favorite, therefore, I should rebuy whenever possible to mazimize this advantage. In particular, if I fold my first hand and am one big blind short of the original buy-in, I should rebuy immediately to be ready to take down the large stacks that show up quickly in these tournaments.

I keep vacilating in my opinion about rebuys (usually based on my most recent experience); would appreciate the thoughts of more experienced and successful tournament players.