View Single Post
Old 11-28-2005, 08:42 PM

Default Re: General HE forum required reading

[ QUOTE ]
So a VPIP slightly above 15 and PFR slightly above 8 is a reasonable combination. The next question is why my VPIP is so low. I would answer that I don't play small pocket pairs and low Axs nearly as often as many players here do (certainly not early) because if there are profits on those hands, it is hardly worth the distraction when you are playing 3-4 tables at once. Also, they become even less profitable (or losers) as you move up and the games get tighter.

[/ QUOTE ]
I want to point out that the ratio is mostly a statistical coincidence, but since they have the same underlying cause (a appropriate amount of looseness) they should tend to go together. When they don't it suggests you have a problem with not being aggressive enough, and are open limping too much (likely in LP). As for a vpip that is "too low", don't sweat it TOO much. I was 15/8 for a while, and I was a winning player several months ago. Since then I've "evolved" into 19/11 since. As you learn more and get more experienced it comes up kind of naturally. One thing is to stop using autofold if there is ANY chance you will play the hand. (Like stealing with GrannyMae or a hand like A6o in LP.)