View Single Post
Old 11-28-2005, 08:03 PM

Default Re: General HE forum required reading

[ QUOTE ]
The point is that PFR is not a stat you should look at in isolation, but rather in conjunction with vpip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I'm going to seem like a bit of a prick, but here's another line from the FAQ:

[ QUOTE ]
Some suggest that PFR should be half your VPIP, but that's an effectual coincidence and should not be your goal. If you only have a VPIP of 13 or 14, you will still often have the same PFR of 8-9 as someone with a higher VPIP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not disputing you Greg, because I actually prefer your take on things: I had noticed a few months ago that my VPIP and PFR were a little low, and thus looked for more PF opportunities. I think I started just limping a lot more though, with more marginal hands, rather than finding those extra (and less obvious) PFRs as well. So I too think that they ought to be moved in conjunction with each other.

I guess we could say that there's a little controversey over PF stats, which makes sense, because then it's just like anything else. I like the general slant of yours and detruncate's arguments, though, which is that an increased VPIP and PFR will accompany more skillful, perceptive play. That way the stats measure the thought process, rather than guiding the play.