View Single Post
Old 11-28-2005, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Here\'s how.

[ QUOTE ]
The issue isn't 3% over one session. The issue is 7.7% over 40k hands. Please forget about that session. You ran real bad, and continuing to talk about it isn't helping. FWIW, I looked through your list and didn't see any obvious "no-brainer" raises you might have missed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be happy to forget about that session. The issue over the 7.7%, however, is news to me. Like I said, that is within the range in the FAQ. It was lower when I first moved to 1/2, then higher when I started raising additional hands, and higher still in tighter games. The high water mark was around 8.8% I believe, and I clearly have a long way to go to get it over 10%, hence my frustration.

[ QUOTE ]
I appreciate what you said about the SSH charts, particularly WRT A9o, KJo, and some other hands. I apologize for being a little harsh, and you are right that the charts have you playing too passively sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to hunt down commie spies and terminate them, and now I'm a screenwriter, so I eat harsh for lunch. Be as harsh as you like, just shoot straight and we're cool.

[ QUOTE ]
I might make the charts a little differently today if I were doing them over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do them over and publish a new addition. I'll pay in advance. Better still, just e-mail me the chart and don't publish a new edition!

[ QUOTE ]
I think the concept you most need to learn is "isolation." The idea is that if a single weak and loose player limps into the pot, some "limping" and even some "folding" hands can become worth raising, particularly if the blinds under-defend. That's the play being made in the A9o raise above.

A weak (presumed because so many open-limpers are... if this is an exception, please also make an exception in your play) player limps in. You end up with A9o on the button. Your hand isn't great, but it's good enough that you'd like to take it heads-up against the limper. So you raise, hoping to fold the blinds and play against the limper.

[/ QUOTE ]

It helps, but I still don't see how I'm going to get to 10% in these loose games. They seem to defend their blinds to the death. It clearly works better with loose players on my right and tight ones on my left, but I can't find those games often enough. I usually end up with loose players on both sides. This is why my PFR is actually lower than it was. The blinds "always" call the raise, and the original limper or two also stay in, so I have 3 or 4 opponents instead of one or two, and when an ace comes on the flop it's usually all over.

[ QUOTE ]
You can isolate from earlier positions if your hand is stronger. KJo in MP is such an example. Though KJo is strong enough that I tend to raise a couple limpers with it from MP on unless the limpers are tougher-than-your-average-limper players.

[/ QUOTE ]

This one is much tougher for me to get. If your chart says to call from MP with it, how many limpers could there possibly be before it gets to me? Shouldn't the chart just say raise? Again, I'm not arguing, and I'm not saying I won't raise it, I'm just trying to understand why I would raise one or two limpers, but call three.

And by the way, thanks. What started out as a thread on variance has become quite productive.