View Single Post
Old 11-28-2005, 06:16 PM

Default Re: Dark checkraised w/KK -- 5handed 20/40 at the Muckleshoot

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think about just calling his flop c/r and then eightyballing him on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

I take that line against weak/passive players that will shutdown and go into call mode if I 3-bet the flop. Against an agressive, thinking player the smooth-call/raise-turn line screams monster and can let them get away from a marginal hand.

Of course, I'll still take the smooth-call/raise-turn line about 25% of the time with monsters against thinking opponents so that I can also take the same line for a free showdown. And in those cases, if they 3-bet the turn, I'll often just call the 3-bet with a monster and raise the river since a turn 3-bet tells them that I'm not making the free showdown play and allows them to fold.

(Fyi, I took the smooth-call/raise-turn HU with a set of jacks v.s. Barry Greenstein in one of the limit WSOP events and it allowed him to get away from a pair of aces w/bad kicker. (I emailed him after the event to find out what he folded.) In fact, he folded rather than putting in his last BB into the pot and decided to wait for a better spot pre-flop to put in that last BB. That sort of solidified for me how obvious that line is.)