View Single Post
Old 11-28-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Here\'s how.

[ QUOTE ]
However, what happened here was that everybody saw the 3% PFR for that session and launched immediately into an attack saying that is the entire reason for this bad session, yet not a single person has yet to step up and identify one single hand that should have been raised that was not.

[/ QUOTE ]

The issue isn't 3% over one session. The issue is 7.7% over 40k hands. Please forget about that session. You ran real bad, and continuing to talk about it isn't helping. FWIW, I looked through your list and didn't see any obvious "no-brainer" raises you might have missed.

But just saying "AJ twice, raised twice" doesn't tell me a whole lot. The whole preflop action is important.

I appreciate what you said about the SSH charts, particularly WRT A9o, KJo, and some other hands. I apologize for being a little harsh, and you are right that the charts have you playing too passively sometimes.

I might make the charts a little differently today if I were doing them over.

I think the concept you most need to learn is "isolation." The idea is that if a single weak and loose player limps into the pot, some "limping" and even some "folding" hands can become worth raising, particularly if the blinds under-defend. That's the play being made in the A9o raise above.

A weak (presumed because so many open-limpers are... if this is an exception, please also make an exception in your play) player limps in. You end up with A9o on the button. Your hand isn't great, but it's good enough that you'd like to take it heads-up against the limper. So you raise, hoping to fold the blinds and play against the limper.

You can isolate from earlier positions if your hand is stronger. KJo in MP is such an example. Though KJo is strong enough that I tend to raise a couple limpers with it from MP on unless the limpers are tougher-than-your-average-limper players.

Hopefully this helps.

For Barron: Ya, I agree that a couple of the raises are definitely borderliney. I intentionly tried to come up with borderline situations to push the envelope, so to speak. Though I certainly don't think raising with 99 in the BB is flat out bad, and against particularly loose limpers I'd definitely do it.