View Single Post
Old 11-28-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Re: deep-stack 5-10 hand: JJ out of position

Hi Mike,

[ QUOTE ]
but if my preflop intent was to play a smaller pot with a difficult hand oop, i then went ahead and built a big one postflop anyhow...so, yeah, i butchered this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. As ML4L recommended, I would tend to reraise with stacks this deep, whereas with 1000 to 2000, I'd probably call. You didn't mention how well this guy plays post-flop, though; can he ever take his foot off the gas? Has he made any tough laydowns that you know of? How about tough calls where he genuinely considered folding (as opposed to making a "tough call" because he never folds)? These are the things I'd be thinking about before "defining" my hand.

I'd be re-raising this guy very often if he played well, and only with my good hands if he played poorly, so in either case, I don't think a reraise would define my hand very clearly in my opponent's mind. You generally play tighter than me, though, so perhaps a reraise does help to pinpoint your hand, which of course you particularly don't want when you're as vulnerable as JJ.

Your post-flop play seems fine, and I'd bet 400 probably, and be willing to call a raise of around 1000 in many cases (so hard to say without being there). Alternatively, check-call up to a pot-bet or so; you may be beat, but you're getting decent enough odds to pay off this dude IMO. If he's somewhat bad, though, I think checking leaves too much out there when he'll just call 400 with a 9.