View Single Post
Old 11-28-2005, 03:55 PM

Default Re: Using the \"Dope with a rope\" strategy in the BB (Blind defence)

warning: "useless metagame stuff" coming - this means CO has to notice what you're doing.

I think you need to checkraise a lot of flops to make villain more honest in his stealing. if he sees you check call the flop and turn a lot, he's going to semibluff you and bet A high against you a lot, since he'll likely get a free showdown and he has little fear of a checkraise. In addition he'll get away easier when you do have the goods.

basically you need to put the fear of God in him so he is less inclined to dick around with you and play his hands more straight up, and that's gonna start with a lot of three betting preflop, a lot of checkraising on the flop, and a lot of getting to showdown. this is mixed in with a bunch of folding of course, we're not donating here. that way, when you don't have it, you can fold easier, cause you know he is less likely to be putting a move on you.

I think occasionally you can c-call and c-raise the turn, because there are hands where you want to peel one hoping for a freebie/cheap showdown, and he might want to know you have that move in your arsenal. but Nate once wrote that he doesn't think it's that useful a move, and it seems most ppl here like playing hands fast so maybe save that one for when you've been check folding the turn a lot. I used to try to use turn checkraises to set up free turn cards, but now I've been fastplaying my hands as a default and using a bad run of cards to set up the turn checkraise instead. seems to work better because when you are winning, our CR's whiff too much. but when you are getting pounded people just love to autobet and move you off and you get to drop the hammer. Then of course once they've seen me do that it's back to fastplaying for a while. but I digress.