Thread: Stu Ungar hands
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2005, 11:49 AM

Default Re: Stu Ungar hands

Another Hellmuth one...from this article Phil vs Stu

In another hand, I limped in with A-10 while the blinds were $600-$1,200. The reason that I just limped in instead of raising was that I had been raising every single pot, and I was afraid that someone was going to come over the top of me soon. When you’re running over the table, sometimes you need to back off a little bit. Stuey was in the big blind with Q-J, and he checked after the flop came down J-9-4. I was mad at myself for limping in, so I decided that I was going to win this pot no matter what. Yeah, right! There was one other limper behind me to be concerned about, but I said to myself, “I’ll ‘power play’ this pot.” I bet out $10,000 into the $5,000 pot, and Stuey called me with his top pair. There was no flush draw, so it was one heck of a call that he made. I guess that the big bet convinced him that I was weak. The next card off was a jack, for a board of J-9-4-J, and Stuey checked to me again. I fired out $20,000 on the power move, and Stuey hesitated for a minute before calling me with his trip jacks. I decided that I was going to give up again and not bluff the river, but an ace hit, for J-9-4-J-A, and Stuey checked to me again. I pondered for a moment. I had Stuey firmly planted on a pair of nines. Meanwhile, the ace had given me a pair of aces. I remember telling myself that Stuey could call a $20,000 bet only if he had three jacks, and therefore I shouldn’t bet. Finally, I decided not to “dog” my best possible card on the river. I bet $20,000 and Stuey beat me into the pot! I said, “I have an ace.” He said, “No good.” Then, he said, “Phil, you gave me $40,000 drawing dead.” So I did, Stuey, so I did!