View Single Post
Old 11-28-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Re: what to memorize?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lastly, remember, memorization alone will not work if you do not understand the concepts AND know how to properly apply them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm UTG and all I have is 7s 6s, but sometimes I pay to see the Flop anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where UNDERSTANDING the concepts comes in. There are some games where playing 76s in early position is not a horrible mistake. It also may be a good way to vary your play a little to create/alter your table image - but if you are at the point where you are just learning the starting hands, don't worry about table image yet.

It may speed your progress along to just print out a hand chart and keep that where you can see it. As Ed Miller says in SSHE(I'll paraphrase), don't focus so much on starting hands that you push off learning post flop concepts. Once you play a couple of thousand hands referencing your chart, you won't need to look at the chart, what to play in what positions will be memorized through experience. Just keep in mind that you must play tight, especially from early position and focus on developing your post flop play. Also, memorizing a chart simply because it is smaller may mean that you miss out on some profits over the long term.

Another suggestion that I'm sure you'll hear - get yourself on some real money micro-limit tables. Play money just isn't the same. I believe that some sites will let you open an account with as little as $25.