View Single Post
Old 11-28-2005, 05:33 AM

Default Re: what to memorize?

Yes, you should try to memorize starting hands, but please do not just memorize one over the other because it is shorter. Personally, although I used the hands from WLLH for 3 years of B&M play - I thnk the SSHE hands are better. Also please remember, although you should follow the starting hands guidlines - you should adapt them to the game, the table, and your reads. So, yes you need to memorize a foundation - don't always follow it to the letter. If you are merely memorizing the WLLH hands because it is shorter but you think the SSHE are better (which I do). Here is a link to a chart of the SSHE hands that is quite easy to use. I never memorized it, but as you use it you will find that the concepts within make sense and you will not need to memorize it.

Also, definitely memorize the odds for hands with 2-8 outs. Usually hands with 9 outs are almost always worth a call. I also found it useful to memorize what hands had what amount of outs (e.g. Flush Draw = 9 outs (4.22:1), Open ended straight draw = 8 outs(4.88:1) - assuming you do not have to discount outs). Here is another great link with an odds chart. .

Lastly, remember, memorization alone will not work if you do not understand the concepts AND know how to properly apply them. This is what I am currently struggling with. To overcome this you have to continue to read/study, play, post hands and more importantly reply to other posters hands, and repeat.