Thread: mononucleosis
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2005, 11:51 PM

Default Re: mononucleosis

I had it in junior high school, 8th grade, and it virtually wiped out the year for me. I had a rare variant that was much worse than usual mono, and was home for six months from school, most of which quite honestly was spent asleep except for a few hours at a time. I was skinny as hell to start and eventually got absurdly skinny. Finally the doc sent me back to school just because it seemed I wasn't recovering, so he didn't really know what to do. I slept through the couple months of school I attended almost entirely, slept on the bus there, and on the bus on the way home. The bus dropped me off three blocks from my house and I had to stop to rest multiple times on the way back. When I got home, I had just enough energy to take off my shirt and shoes, but not my pants, and just fell flat on my face after onto my bad and instantly feel asleep for hours.

My lymph glands in my neck at first swelled up so bad that the nurse and everyone in school, on the first day of school that year, looked at me with amazement and concern. By that evening I was having a biopsy done, and soon after they told my parents I had cancer and 30 days to live. Turns out they were wrong.

But anyway, it sucked pretty damn bad. Basically took a year of life away from me, turning me into an exhausted zombie for that whole time.

Would have been nice to have been a carrier instead! I guess somebody must have been, because I never heard of anyone in my school or neighborhood, or anywhere else, ever having mono besides me.