View Single Post
Old 11-27-2005, 09:54 PM

Default Re: NFL running backs

[ QUOTE ]
What starting RB doesnt do those things? I loved robert smith but I dont think he was ever considered an elite running back. Does Jamal lewis fit your description? Stephen Davis? Tatum Bell? Thomas Jones? Samkon Gado?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't giving a description. I giving a list of things to look for as opposed to just looking at stats because stats are heavily dependant upon the team a player plays for.

Clinton Portis is a perfect example. If you look at his stats now compared with the Broncos, you get the Bronco effect. Does that mean Portis is any worse a runner now, not necessarily. A better measure would be analize each and every handoff he takes and weigh the criteria I gave. A stat tells you a player had a big run. Determining whether that run was do to his ability to make a player miss or because his line opened a whole for him tells you why he had a big run. Some better running backs have crappy stats because of the team they play for. Some average backs have great stats because of the team they play for. All I'm saying is its more important to look at film then stats. Its the difference between what and why.

Tatum Bell, Thomas Jones, Steven davis, all do some of those things well. Right now LT is the only guy that I think can do all those things and not consequently I think he is the only all time great running back playing right now.