View Single Post
Old 11-27-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Made trips on the flop, lost to a turned fullhouse

[ QUOTE ]

I've only called the flop as I was almost sure he would bet quite a lot on turn when I check it. This was probably a mistake. A raise to 500 would probably win a hand for me and I wouldn't lose to his turned fullhouse.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is, suppose he'll do that on any turn, including ones that don't help him at all. Then the vast majority of the time you're making money by leaving him room to fire at you on the turn. So the main question you should be asking if you're seriously trying to figure out whether your play was good was whether this idea is true. I think it probably is.

There are definitely times where there is merit to winning the pot right away, but you have a nearly unbeatable hand right now (K8 and 88 are the only things you're behind to on the flop, and everything else is drawing very slim). In these situations you must extract as much as you possibly can. So your play was okay (though I might be tempted to try inflating the pot a little bit, given the smallness of that bet - I think you might keep 77 on a push here because it doesn't look like how a K might play). The reason that people are giving you so much crap about the bad beat angle is that it should probably be relatively obvious that this is true. That and it apparently feels good to laugh at the foolish newbies.

EDIT: Also, it's generally better to ask questions without giving the results. So don't tell us in the title that you lost; give the play, don't say what happened, and then wait to see what people say about your decisions. In this case, it would still be relatively obvious that you were posting this because of a ridiculous beat, which suggests that the decisions are all pretty easy.