View Single Post
Old 11-26-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Is this spew? (results posted)

[ QUOTE ]
I figured he likes his Ace and thinks I have a lower pair. I didn't even consider A3/A4/25/33/44

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? I'm not saying that it's certain he has one of these, but any time an ostensibly passive player wakes up it has to make you start thinking very carefully about potential hand ranges.

Even passive players raise aces sometimes. However, there's a reasonable chance you're drawing when he pops the flop and there's nobody else to pad the pot. I just call the flop, check/call the turn, and think about donking the river (planning to fold to a raise) if I'm afraid he checks it through too often -- he won't even always raise when we're behind, he's unlikely to fold a worse hand, and we're planning to call a bet anyway, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to make sure exactly 1 bet goes in on the river UI. If I think he checks through 2-pair sometimes I could see checking instead, but this is one of those rivers where he might well only bet when you're behind but will call a bet when you're ahead (meaning that even if putting in chips on the river turns out to be incorrect full stop, it's still going to be less incorrect when you're the one doing the betting as long as you don't pay off a raise).