View Single Post
Old 11-26-2005, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Rebuy & Add on tourneys. Advice needed....

I saw a post a while ago which made sense. The poster said there are basically two strategies:

1) rebuy early and often and play like a maniac hoping to grow a huge stack for the post-rebuy stage. Daniel Negreneau proly used this strategy in a WSOP rebuy event last year -- I think he rebought like 27 times!

2) rebuy once and press your top hands

I take the 2nd approach. I rebuy before the first hand is dealt. I will try to see a lot of flops cheaply since blinds are so small relative to stack size and I can really get paid off during the rebuy period if I hit the flop. I aim to build a much bigger pot than normal if I do hit the flop hard since my opponents are taking a lot of rebuy-type gambools. Same goes pre-flop -- I get a lot of play on my rediculously large pre-flop bets w/ monsters.

Even with the more conservative 2nd approach you need to be ready to rebuy a couple of times if your aggressive play w/ good hands ends up busting you. You still want to grow a big stack so you must take a lot of chances which of course means you might go broke. If I go broke I will usually rebuy twice in a row (to get to twice the starting stack). If I go broke again I usually say it's not my night and leave the tourney -- unless I'm on mega-tilt from the bad beats and just throw in a couple more rebuys! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]