View Single Post
Old 11-26-2005, 03:23 PM

Default I can\'t watch anymore of this WPT author challenge

I managed to get through 30 minutes of it before giving up. Here's why.

There are six authors down there. Six legends in the poker world. Six people who play better poker than I can ever dream of doing.
Mike Caro makes his bread and butter out-thinking his opponents.
Helmuth is flamboyant and argumentative.
Skalansky is analytical and logical.
Doyle is the true legend, holding more bracelets than anyone (save Chan) in history. He literally wrote the book on poker stories.
Cloutier has played everywhere and won nearly everything.
Sexton has been an announcer for going on four years now.

You'd think they'd have something to talk about right? Something interesting. Psychological. Informative. This is my chance to learn from the masters.

But instead I get this:

"Sexton is re-raising with a little wired pair of sixes in the hole. He's putting it all in. On the line. What will Helmuth do? He's contemplating. And thinking. He has A4. What will he do? He's counting out chips. He's looking up in the air. Now he's..."

SHUT UP. Shutupshutupshutup.

I can see he has A4. The camera showed A4. The screen shows A4. I'm not blind. Oh he's raising? Well thanks for confirming what the screen just told me.

This annoys me with every single WPT. The announcers just repeat the exact knowledge we'd have if only we looked at the television! Meanwhile, the purposely and inanely talk over the player's comments.

This time the players are legends and this time the players are talking before during and after every single hand. Yet worse than not even being able to hear a word of it, I catch small snippets before the announcers continue to blather on and on and on, interrupting but giving no useful information whatsoever. This happens every single show but it almost seemed downright rude on this episode.

If you're going to show the players talking to each other, let me hear what they're saying!