View Single Post
Old 11-26-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Re: You Can\'t Go Pro Without Already Being a Pro

I think your question is actually pretty valid and deserving more than just a short non-thought out answer.

Unfortuanlly I havent made this move myself, but I know others that have, and have had some thoughts about it for myself.

I currently make 60K at my current job. Ive talked to people who play up to 10/20 online, multitable, along with bonuses, and they can spend more than 60-70 hours a week just to average an amount that doesnt even equal my 60K a year.

Plus on top of that, you have to consider that you still are responsible for paying taxes, and well as make up for all the other benefits that having a job provides you with. (Health insurance being the major one, it's way more expensive when you have to pay for it on your own)

Also this is a no-brainer but before you even think about going pro, it's good to have a long enough track record part time so that you can be sure that you're really as good as you are and are not just experiencing positive varience.

Also Id be willing to bet that anyone who would just instantly suggest you should do it because "life is too short" is not making 70K a year and doesnt have much of a long term career.

If you are making 70K a year it's likely that you are in the process of having a career that you may of been working on for awhile. It's hard to just simply throw that away to play poker when you arent really sure what's going to happen.