View Single Post
Old 11-25-2005, 11:41 PM

Default Re: The Road to Success

Kudos to you for actually sitting down and coming up with a plan!

I would suggest that you pick either NL or limit to study and focus on that. Many people here have strong opinions on which to start with and this has been covered here repeatedly. Trying to learn a little bit of one before moving to the other is probably not the optimal way to learn.

Small Stakes Hold-em by Ed Miller is THE book for low limit hold em. I'm reading it through for the fifth time and still picking things up. Theory of Poker is another great book - a bit advanced, but when you are ready it will help you digest the "why" behind a lot of plays.

How many hands do you need to play to know if you'll be a winner? I can't say for SNG's, but for limit, I figure that by your third 10,000 hands you should be getting a pretty good idea. Since we generally reference bb/100h as a unit of measure, 10k hand is only 100 units..which is really a small sample.

I don't use pokertracker, but lots of people here swear by it. Just don't let the data gathering capabilities and HUD's keep you from developing your own instincts about plays and reads.

There's a lot to being a winning player long term... confidence, willingness to learn, becoming a student of the game... The fact that you are trying to make a plan and asking for help is a pretty good indicator that you probably have what it takes. Good luck on your quest.