Thread: Raising Preflop
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2005, 07:04 PM

Default Re: Raising Preflop

[ QUOTE ]
Ok. You can also come up with elaborate scenarios where AA is a dog preflop. You can come up with elaborate scenarios where I want people to fold. I agree in this situation it is better for me if 22 folds. He never will, so if he does fold he is folding a hand like 810o that I want to call.

Two statements :
1) 95% of the time, if a player folds, you actually wanted him to call.
2) Thinning the fields is a myth.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know there are lots of elaborate scenarios but I can't name them all.

"I agree in this situation it is better for me if 22 folds. He never will"

Well no you are wrong , you want 22 to call if its folded to the BB because hes only getting 3.5 to 1 and you're a 4 to 1 favorite (calling would be a mistake here). So his call is incorrect. With everyone cold calling then you want him to fold (folding would be the mistake here).

BTW, I fold 22 facing a raise if I'm not in the blinds most of the time (unless I expect enough callers to justify adeqyate odds).

Your statements: 1) you assume you're superior at the table and know you have the best hand when you raise. Its a game of incomplete info you don't know precisely who you want to call or fold. 2) I have no idea what you mean when you say thinning the fields is a myth - are we in a fairy land when we raise and everyone folds but one. The field has been thinned. But you say thinning is a myth.

If you had KQ and raise in MP, 2+2er with AJo folds, you picked up some equity but raising and it happens to weed him out. Otherwise you would have been an underdog. I don't know how else to explain.