Thread: Raising Preflop
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2005, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Raising Preflop

How about this scenerio which Ive found even in loose games: (I play a lot of 2/4 online).

In these loose games as Im sure you will agree you get a lot of people who constantly limp into the pot. Usually the ones who continuously do it all the time are your weaker players who are playing weak hands and provide you with the whole reason you might of chosen to play at that table.

The rest of the players are those such as yourself, or perhaps those that are not excellent players but not loose maniacs either. (vanilla players if you will, slightly loose aggressives, rocks, etc....) They are beatable perhaps but overall you wont get nearly as much money from them without some degree of luck.

If I was sitting in LP with a decent (but not great hand) or a drawing hand, I had a bad habit of always limping behind other limpers.

Now obviously there are all sorts of reasons why you wouldnt want to do that, but one reason I came up with is that I actually do want to isolate those bad players that have already limped in.

If I am successful and can isolate them there is more of a chance that I will take more of their money before anyone else since I am choosing way better hand selection, I have superior position and Im more likely to make the correct choices from the flop on.

If I dont isolate them then it's not as clear, you could have much better players in the pot with better starting hands (because you might not always just raise with your monster starting hands). Id rather take the worst players head on along with the huge implied odds that they are dragging along with them.

I know this might go against anything that's an EV consideration but I think it does address one area of "luck" in table selection which is getting a table with the worst players and having an oppurtunity to take as much of their money as possible before anyone else can.

Another scenerio that I go thru is that even when I raise a big hand, I would rather that anyone with a better position than I have would fold. (especially if they are a better player that I know doesnt play a lot of hands) If they are in the hand then I usually have to be a lot more careful. (not that I play careful, it's just not as desirable)

Im sure they can bring up tons of examples where you would want to thin the field that are far better than mine.

But I dont agree that your question is dumb. I just think it's kind of redundent. You are making a statement that you are "not hoping" people will fold, yet you "want" callers, yet "you are not hoping anything".

Obviously what you want and hope for is illrelevant and it doesnt seem that you are making a statement about how to play but merely what you should or shouldnt hope for...