View Single Post
Old 11-25-2005, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Reading Material?

[ QUOTE ]
Ashley Adams’ book ... a good introduction to seven-card stud. I hope others will comment on this

[/ QUOTE ]

I just started playing 7 card stud online at the lowest possible stakes, mostly becuase I am getting bored with Texas Hold'em. I went to Chip Reese's SuperSystem chapter first, which I found to be excellent and helpful. However, I quickly found out that not all of his advice applies well to the loose, low-limit, 8-handed games that I have been playing. For example, Chip recommends an immediate raise with small pairs. Yet, I have so far discovered that, at the limits I have been playing, such a move rarely limits the field. I suspect that the tactic may even have the opposite effect, by building the pot and making draws more playble. Once I started slowing down on small pairs, I have had success, primarily following Chip's other suggestions.

As to the Adams book, I started reading it at a Barnes & Noble two nights ago. It's very readable, but it's a little basic -- Sklansky fanatics like me might find it to be dumbed-down. Good price at $15. The writer, who credits this forum, certainly knows the game.