View Single Post
Old 11-25-2005, 02:25 AM

Default Re: I can\'t stand conversations that involve politics

Hmm, I never like talking politics any more, cos it just seems petty.

I now accept politics machinations etc are well beyond my control as an individual, and to act individually to try and change things is either a waste of time, act of frustration, or for the extremists who do this, an act of disgusting violence.

There's so many more ways you can either be happier or better yourself or use your time than waste time on this, it seems a pretty trivial subject. I no longer read newspapers, for example, cos they are either not news (celebrity gossip, stupid speculation that doesn't serve any purpose other than scare/confuse/misdirect attetion), or they are full of political navel-gazing.

The only exception to this I think the previous poster touched on - good to know the historical perspectives on things, as this makes you better understand the culture and times we live in.

Politics is a huge sap on thinking time, there is science, art, music, philosophy, history, geography + travel, learning about other cultures etc that are all much more worthwhile and productive, IMHO.

Edit: For me, the big problem is I don't agree with any single party's manifesto/approaches/goals. I agree with one on 1 subject, another on another subject, and none of em on a third. I think most people feel this, too, and thus become disinterested, as no one party truly represents them.