View Single Post
Old 11-24-2005, 08:03 PM

Default Re: middle pair - a plan?

[ QUOTE ]
This hand closely mirrors the opening example of the post flop play in SSHE, which recommends raising (folding isn't a terrible play either).

[/ QUOTE ]

In that hand, Hero was first to act after the pre-flop raiser; no one had yet called the PFRs post-flop bet. This situation is quite different. We can not realistically expect to get it heads up with a raise, even if we are currently ahead, plus the chances we currently have the best hand are somewhat lower than in that example. (People seem to forget that that is an important part of the analysis in that hand.)

[ QUOTE ]
I think calling is the worst option here. It appears to be either a fold or raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

With that in mind, I am not sure that calling is such a bad option (although folding is clearly ok). If it is checked to us on the turn, we can bet there, or if it goes bet, fold to us, then we can consider raising the turn depending on exactly what we think of PFR. At least, that is my current thinking.

For what it is worth, though, I did raise it on the flop and both the blind and the PFR folded. The cold-caller went to the end with his gutshot draw, and MHIG. I now feel that this was misplaced aggression on my part.