View Single Post
Old 11-24-2005, 01:16 AM

Default A question of Poker Ethics

So i'm playing in my weekly home game, where i am the strongest player and the villain and my friend is the second strongest, and pretty damn close to me. Tradionally, i tend to always get my money in with the best hand, and play a TAG style. ALso, in big hands i almost always take more then my fair share of time to table talk and make up my mind.

So we are playing 4 handed late in the nite and i decide to come in with 9-3s just to change gears. its the first junk hand i have limped all nite.

So the flop comes 3-3-9, i check, vill. checks.
turn is an Ace, i check, vill bets the pot for 2$, i call, and he looks as me suspiciously. I think he's got and Ace with a weak kicker.
The river brings the Case 3, giving me quads and him the i thinka full house. I check, he bets 6$ into the 4$ pot. i now know for sure he's got the boat.

I Pause, think, and start running threw his hands he might have outloud even though i'm sure he has an ACE. i Say, "well, you don't have a 3, cause you don't play 3's" (he's TAG too.) " and you don't have an ACE, cause you would have raised be4 the flop in postion" (though i know he limps bad kick ACES in this spot sometimes), what you have? a 9? a pocket pair? i think your on STONE COLD bluff". Then someone called time on me.

I was like "yes!" because it would make my decision look much more rash. I pause for another 30 seconds after questioning him, someone counts down from 10 to 1, i wait 5 more seconds, and push all in for about 30$ more. He calls instantly with the boat.

Here's the question of ethics. He is my friend and he said that this was just a 'friendly" game. And he was upset because i waited so long and pretended i was up to a big decision even though i was sitting on the nuts. I made him sweat it unneededly is what i think he was getting at.

But if there was anyone who could have layed down that hand there, it was him. He had even said to me last week "you know, you always seem to the your money in the pot with the best hand in big pots", he knew my style. But since i changed gears, and we were 4 handed, maybe it was just a pot that no one could have gotten away from no matter how i played the "acting" on the river. I felt that i lied and was "tricky", but pretty brilliant at the same time. The table shouted out "he's deserves the oscar" and "he slow rolled you man" at the same time. (even though i didnt slow roll). I was just trying to make sure that all the money went into the pot against my toughist villain. This is a friendly home game, but both of us always play to win and everyone knows that. Did i go too far or was it just a clever play?