View Single Post
Old 11-23-2005, 05:38 PM

Default Re: think about this...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OK, let's put the plane at the end of the runway at rest, just like it normally is. However, we're on a magic runway that can move at whatever speed necessary to meet the condition of OP. So the runway moves at the same speed as the wheels. What part of the wheels? Well, the obvious point is the contact point of the wheels, but I say to hell with that. Let's say the whole [censored] wheel can't have any velocity relative to the runway. So, we fire up the engines. The enines propel air backwards and the plane forwards. But, holy [censored]! That means the wheels are moving! We gotta get that runway going! So the runway accelerates too, and the wheels remain motionless. Mean while, the plane is still accelerating. Holy [censored]! We can't have the wheels moving! Heap some more magic dust into the runway motor so it speeds up! And the wheels don't move. And now the plane speeds up again. Holy [censored]! But this time, the plane has reached 88 miles an hour (relative to the air traffic control tower) and goes back in time. Wait til [censored] OOT hears about this!

[/ QUOTE ]

I fully understand what you are saying. However, think about this-- I mean really think it over.

It is possible to apply a force via the wheels and have the wheels move at the same speed as the runway. (think of getting a smog check and how they test your car)

It is not theoretically possible to apply a force from the jet engine and have the wheels move at the same speed as the runway. The wheels will speed up, no MATTER how fast you make the runway, the wheels will move at that speed plus more, thanks to the force from the jet.

[/ QUOTE ]
THIS ISN'T A [censored] CAR! The jet engines have no connection to the wheels whatsoever. They do not drive the wheels, the wheels just spin. The jets provide a thrust force. That's it. There's no driveshaft down to the wheels. The thing that spins the wheels is friction with the ground and relative motion between the plane and the runway. How [censored] stupid are you?