View Single Post
Old 11-23-2005, 03:05 PM

Default Re: How many people do you think are unaware of basic physics/chemistry?

I would say most high school graduates are unaware of this [ QUOTE ]
The theory of relativity is a huge one. If you find a random person on the street and tell them that the speed of light is constant no matter how fast you are going and time changes depending on how fast you go, I think it would blow their mind.

[/ QUOTE ] I think they wouldn't be able to tell you much about even relative velocity but I'm sure they would understand it if you explained it to them . Most college kids and people that graduate from college are aware of that light having the same speed regardless of the reference frame however they have no clue what it means or what any of the implications of it are. I don't know how many people have been to college in the US or world but I would say close to 65% of them are somewhat aware about this. That number plus another 5-10% of the people that never went to college then I think that would be a reasonable answer. Concerning atoms, I would say 80% of population over 18