View Single Post
Old 11-23-2005, 01:48 PM

Default Re: mathmatics of strategy: contradiction?

[ QUOTE ]

To put it in math terms, say if you raise with KK you win the pot 75% of the time (on average let's say it's a 5 BB pot). Every 100 KK you have won 75 x 5 = 375BB.

Let's assume by not raising you win the pot 50% of the time. In order to win the same 375 BB the average pot will need to be 7.5 BB. Thus you need to find a way to get 2.5 MORE BB into the average pot and you are starting from behind (because preflop the pot will have LESS money than if you raised most likely).

[/ QUOTE ]

Zakley. There is and old saying that goes "you either win a small pot or lose a big one with aces"

Same applies to hands like KK or QQ many times.

Think about how many times you limped and there is action behind you and you tell yourself "I limped they have no idea I got AA" So now you play more aggressively or pay off a hand you wouldnt of if you raised. Also by raising and them calling you have an easyer time putting them on a hand.

Lets say you limp, 1 caller, the BB checks. You got AA.

flop comes Q73 rainbow. BB bets. What hand does he have here? You have no clue, Q7, Q3, 73? Qx? "Why is he betting into to callers. Doesnt he know I got AA? I raise" and now the 73o you let into the pot proceeds to bust you.

When instead you raise BB calls and the flop is Q73 rainbow. He checks you bet he raises you. Now you can consider the hands he would call a raise with, QQ, 77, 33. This makes easier decisions. Now you can play your hand accordingly losing less money.

I hope that makes sense.

In limit most of the time I limped with AA early in my playing I lost and paid more when losing. If I won, I won a tiny pot because no one called or won as much as if I raised PF but with more opponents in the pot.

I never limp with premiums in limit, I raise, raiase, raise. I'd rather win someone's $6 by calling my PF raise then folding the flop to my bet than playing vs 4 players OOP on a dangerous board.

Limping is for losing money. Only once or twice did I get lucky flop a set of aces with a moron that limped also with AQ and hit something like 2 pair on the flop.