View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 06:28 PM

Default Too loose, too lucky?

This is a live hand from my local card club past weekend. We're playing 5/5 blinds, thought it's Swedish Crowns, so it's almost 1/1. I'm sitting at around 5000 in chips and cover the table.

My image is that of a loose-aggressive borderline maniac foolish idiot. Kind of. I'm downing beer after beer and ocassionally screaming "KLONK".

Anyways.

Someone in EP raises to 30 after a few limpers. Two people call.

I hesitate before I look at my cards (I'm in SB) because I do have this nagging feeling that my cards will be poor and unplayable, especially out of position. I look down at a monster - 258K rainbow. So I call. Of course I call.

And, I check in the dark. This is a move I make whenever I have poor cards in a multiway pot, and whenever I feel like it. Sometimes I make it when eating Turkish meze at the same time, which I was doing right now, so - I guess it's not too easy for the opponents to read if this is a meze-induced check-in-the-dark or a crap cards-induced check-in-the-dark.

Anyway.

The flop comes 5-5-9.
Pot: 150.

I almost wet my pants with joy.
Then I realise I checked in the dark.
Then I realise it's Omaha.

The Miracle happens, and it gets checked around. I'm in big trouble now, I always tend to overplay poor trips in Omaha out of position. I always tend to bust on these types of hands when I think "F it - what can HE have? I re-raise pot!".

Anways.

Turn is a 5.

This means the board reads 5 5 9 5.

I have a 5.

Unless the deck is more rigged than usually, I should be the only one with four of a kind.

So I pot it.

With force. 150 f-in Swedish Crowns - which amounts to a lunch at some above-average American restaurant, I presume.

I get one caller.

The rest of the weak-tight Santa Clauses fold.

River: Q. SO the board now reads 5 5 9 5 Q.

Anyway.

I think - check-raise. But that is bad. I miss too much value. So, while I think, I have some meze. Then I bet 400 into the 450 pot. My opponent jokingly asks if I have four of a kind. I give off a blatantly obvious physical tell, letting him know that I indeed do have four of a kind. He groans and moans like a schoolgirl losing her virginity. Then he calls. I flip my five and rake in 1250 worth of chips.

Fancy dinner with a girl at a fancy American restaurant, I presume.

So - how did I do? Should I opt for a check-raise on any of the streets, and if so - why? And what will pay it off? Or is my line maximizing value postflop?