View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Heavy investment

[ QUOTE ]

It won't. The users on this board have put their heart into the philosophy that liberal completely free market economics is inevitable

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly would never argue that. I never count on governments to enact sound economic policies - but then, I never count on government to do anything right.

[ QUOTE ]
and the best thing possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

This I do think.

[ QUOTE ]
I have started a few posts on here debating the point that A. worldwide liberalization has NOT always been successful in making some 3rd world countries more prosperous

[/ QUOTE ]

Not always successful is a pretty easy criterion to fulfill. Gee, you win on the point that liberalizing trade hasn't brought every single third world country into the first world. Whoop-de-doo. But on the whole free trade has been a massive boon to the third world...for chrissakes, just look at China and India and Southeast asia and South Korea. It's amazing, the economic growth that they've gone through. And you don't have to take my word for it. Check this out.

[ QUOTE ]
and that B. free trade agreements have not succeeded in making the US working class more prosperous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well...you're wrong. Very simply. They have. You can look at the stats if you want - they are also in the previous link. The logical reasoning behind this is in my other posts in this thread.

[ QUOTE ]

Rather than debate these points, most people just argue "free and open markets are inevitable, anything else is bad" without really looking at any of the evidence showing why this might not be the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Golly would I love to see some evidence. Bring it forth!

Will