View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 11:23 AM

Default Re: This should have been the start of a beautiful

i think it can be, but i think this begs the question why is america's standard of living so much higher then elsewhere?

(my answer, the conentration of capital)

Whatever the reason for this high standard of living can it be maintained?

(my answer, without coercive force, probably not)

I really think this could lead to a very interesting disucssion about how we (as a people) feel about capitalism more generally, but in looking at what we might do to keep jobs in america, we also have to look at HOW we're doing it, and what the net effect of this intervention will be.

In this particular circumstance i think it's almost inarguably more "efficent" what GM is doing, insomuch as all the same goods will be provided, but at a lower price. I think a very interesting question is getting at why/if those jobs should be in america in the first place.

What does keeping jobs in America mean?

Does it mean actively looking out for American workers benifit over foreigners?

If that is so does it mean actively preventing foreigners from working jobs that could feasibly be worked by americans?

I think these are all intersting questions.

The final question in my mind, is how far can the American government justifiably go to promote it's own citizens welfare over non-citizens. Some would argue as far as it can, some would argue not at all, but i imagine that most Americans fall somewhere inbetween in their views, and it would be quite intersting to see where to draw the line and why.

I know for a fact, that you, Cyrus, fall somewhere between those extremes, and i'd be very interested in hearing what you think is a reasonable place to draw that line.