View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 11:20 AM

Default Heavy investment

[ QUOTE ]
discussion -- about living standards, protectionism, the benefits (and hardships) of "unferettered capitalism", etc. Maybe touch upon the modern notion of state -- and globalism. But it won't be. Questions about the real-world effects of "anarcho-capitalism" (and its comparison to true-blue) capitalism, should have ignited.

But they won't.

FWIW, I am not suggesting the implementaiotn of tariffs. I already warned you lot, not to faint! But can't we at least discuss this a bit? GM just laid 30,000 jobs to the wind.

[/ QUOTE ]

It won't. The users on this board have put their heart into the philosophy that liberal completely free market economics is inevitable and the best thing possible. I have started a few posts on here debating the point that A. worldwide liberalization has NOT always been successful in making some 3rd world countries more prosperous and that B. free trade agreements have not succeeded in making the US working class more prosperous.

Rather than debate these points, most people just argue "free and open markets are inevitable, anything else is bad" without really looking at any of the evidence showing why this might not be the case.