View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 08:20 AM

Default Re: The arguement that recently convinced me of god\'s existence

RJT - I see a lot of disagreements to your post about Dawkins sentence saying the mystery of our existence has been solved. I'll lend you some support - I think your instincts are good in questioning this kind of a statement. Personally I think there are plenty of mysteries that remain pertaining to the origin of life and to our existence.
I've been through Dawkin's book "The Blind Watchmaker " twice about 5 years apart. On the positive side I think it adresses some of the central questions about evolution that need to be adressed. It does a good job in some places of making points. But overall I think Dawkin's case is weak in proving the mechanisms behind the so called Neo-Darwinian model of evolution. There are so many intracasies in this discussion that it is impossible to deal with them in short posts. But I cast my vote that the idea of intelligent design is not a trivial thing to dismiss. Whether the original poster's chair represents certain structures in the body, certain forms of life or the Universe itself - plenty of scientists that I have talked to at Universities would say its a reasonable discussion. (I've taught college physics but not biology).