View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 07:01 AM

Default Re: How do I tell my parents I\'m not happy...

wow, i think we were separated at birth or something because that's almost the exact same situation i'm in down to every detail, except i'm 23 and stuff.

my problem with telling my parents stuff is it gets passed around, from one to the other, and sometimes on to other family members. thus i am very closed off to them about personal issues.

however since i have a better connection with my mom than dad, and i don't really have friends to bitch to (i really only have one strong one, and he's just a listener, not an advice giver), i'll tell my mom on the condition that she just keeps it to herself, and that usually works.

i've also found that sometimes i'll tell my dad some things and my mom others, based on my relationship with them. like i'll talk to my mom about getting a job or school (she was a teacher so that helps) and i'll talk to my dad about, say, getting a car or girls (though that's pretty rare, he can't keep his mouth shut).

when i got my B.S. in stats i felt it's what i wanted to do, but now finishing up my M.S. i'm really pretty blah about it. i started poker to make some money, have fun, and as a longshot career hope (hah!). i really don't want to DO anything with my life is the problem, nothing really gets me that excited that would be a possible career (i mean i like certain music but that's a huge longshot, so i'm being realistic). if i could sit around all day that's be fine by me.

it may be better to tell your mom not to tell anyone else, that makes it more comfortable. my parents sound a lot like yours, my dad is a bit too strict and my mom a bit too easy. if it goes ok, one idea may be to have her tell your dad, and see if your dad can initiate some conversation about it, or whatever.

anyway, i'll stop yammering.