View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 02:21 AM

Default Re: Yahoo article about NYC crackdown

[ QUOTE ]
now if you told me that you know a club owner and you know for a fact he has never been approached by a more powerful illegal business that wanted in on his funds id probably believe you. i believe tt so maybe im wrong that this doesnt at least sometimes take place.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest, this used to take place. I personally was shaken down when I worked in nightlife twice, one time guns were involved... so it is possible. But just because something is possible doesn't mean it still happens.. that mentality is virtually eliminated from the underworld. In one of my two scenarios I got a personal apology by a local boss the following week, the mafia (again.. there is no such thing as the mafia as we see on TV, its really a loose pyramid scheme run like a real business with very little violence) doesn't tolerate rough stuff anymore and won't work with idiots who operate that way. Its bad for business.

In closing there were two scenarios of local card rooms where I was curious as well. One operated for nearly 40 years and is commonly confused with being a mob joint because of it's name. But if anyone did any investigation with people who have been playing for 20+ years they would learn that that room is the only one legally permitted to operate as a card room due to a statute of limitations loophole. The other scenario was Russian owned, the guys involved all seemed to be bruisers but when I investigated the owner's story panned out, he is a legitimate stock broker by day who has a bad gambling habit that he feeds through the revenues of his club.

PS hope to meet you soon TSMDB.... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]