View Single Post
Old 11-21-2005, 09:03 PM

Default Re: Live 30/60 against 2+2er

[ QUOTE ]
I think UTG put me on Js-Ks and want to bet his AQ, AJ, AT. I felt certain he had an A and felt I had the pockets above.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker is about reading hands and perhaps more importantly, reading minds. With respect, your thinking here shows some failings when it comes to reading minds. To be specific, why would UTG want to bet his Ace hand if he felt that you had JJ,QQ, or KK? If he felt that you had any of those hands, he would let you bet and then checkraise your ass.

Of course, he may want to bet out based on other reasons but he is not betting out because he felt that you had KK-JJ b/c after 3 betting preflop, it's a near cinch that you would (and should) bet the flop even if you only held JJ.

Also, I think it's dangerous to "feel certain" that the other guy had an ace when he bet the flop. Reading hands is an exercise that generally occurs by synthesizing several factors over multiple streets. Early on, an action may represent several possible hands. Then, as the play develops, you can rule out certain possible holdings by looking back and analyzing your opponent's play throughout the hand.