View Single Post
Old 11-21-2005, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Profile Strategy

Against this type of player, I tend to play more passively than I would against a fish. The guy you've described likes to raise (and check-raise) substandard holdings, and he apparently likes to bluff. He's presumably also playing his really good hands strongly.

When he starts betting at you, you don't have to play back at him if you have a merely good hand. Let him keep betting.

When you're in position, you should often check behind on the turn against a guy like this when you have a decent hand that you want to get to showdown with. Getting check-raised on the turn sucks, so when you know this guy will check-raise a broad range of hands, you should be much less inclined to make questionable value bets HU when you can check behind instead. By all means, bet the turn if you have a strong hand, and feel free to bet the turn if you have nothing and can confidently dump to a check-raise, but otherwise just check behind with your decent hands and pick off his river bluffs.

Chest-thumping aggression (which you seem to be advocating) is not optimal against this kind of player, at least in my experience.