View Single Post
Old 11-21-2005, 05:19 PM

Default Re: AJs, flop top pair + flush draw,.25/.50 NL, big pot

I'd raise to $2.5 preflop. If I believe he has to have aces, I'll just call the flop. Against an aggro player, I almost always reraise that flop. The turn is an instacall. You're not getting correct odds when he has aces, but he doesn't have to have aces here. If he has kings, you made a good call. There's always a chance that you actually have the best hand, and it's catastrophic when he pushes you off so much equity. I'm not saying that you should always convince yourself to call in these spots, but against the player that you described you have to take into account all the times he might not have what a normal player would.

Edit to respond to other posters: It's not a bad beat post, it just had a funny result. Some people are discounting the 2 clean jack outs and and about maybe 1.5 ace outs. Pushing isn't my favorite play here, if you just raise you give yourself the chance to check behind on the turn and perhaps see both cards for a third of the price of pushing. If you want to raise enough to pot commit yourself, that's fine too. There's no turn that's going to really make me want to lay this down, and I don't want to allow myself to fold after putting in so much money. Not raising AJs on the button preflop is weak.