View Single Post
Old 11-21-2005, 03:13 PM

Default Re: AA river decision

Just like you should not play poker drunk, you should not post poker tips drunk either [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] that being said:

Assumptions on the river:
You hand is always best.
You will always be called by the river better if you raise.
You will never be called by the BB if you raise.
The BB will always overcall if you do not raise.

Analysis:
If all these points were true then it would not matter which action you take, you will win 2 bets either way.

Attacking the Assumptions:
Based on the betting I'd say your hand is best over 90% of the time. Say 10% of the time the someone has you beat. 100% of the time they are going to reraise your raise. You call the reraise 100% of the time. Now you will lose 3 bets 10% of the time vs. losing 1 bet 10% of the time by calling.

The river better is quite likely to pay off your raise; he's a 'goofball'. Let's just say that you'll win 2 bets every time your hand is best if you raise (90% of the time).

Sometimes the BB will overcall with a worse hand. Sometimes he will have you beaten and is going for a check-raise (which I feel is next to never given the player description and betting). Both situations are an almost never--cancel them out.

The BB will always overcall. I think this assumption is a bit too optimistic; maybe he'll call 75% of the time if he holds TT-KK. Of course he's more inclined to call with the larger pairs.

Based on this I'd say that you'll win more in the long run by raising; mostly due to the fact that the boso will call your raise and the BB will not overcall every time. Also the threat of being beat is small; you can even fold to a 3 bet if you strongly feel you are beaten. If it is 3 bet by the boso then I'd probably pay it off--I wouldn't want that hand to end up some poker book being titled as the "best bluff ever". The pot's huge and worth paying off if for nothing else, table image.

You've gotta be wondering where the heck the river bet is coming from. How did that card help this clown? I wouldn't worry about it; for all we know he's just made 2 pr with 89s I wouldn't let this Sammy's bet deter me from getting the most value possible from my likely best hand.

I hope this covers the post a bit better than the original I submitted.