View Single Post
Old 11-21-2005, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Yahoo article about NYC crackdown

this is actually a very significant thread that alot of people should be reading. everyone knows these poker clubs are mafia related because they are illegal businesses. police departments might be attacking these small poker clubs to attack mafia-related businesses, not because they care about poker being illegal. its very plausible that poker money is adding to drug trafficing and if thats the case then the NYPD actually has substantial reasoning for raiding these clubs.

i dont know too much about the mafia other than whats seen in the movies, but some of my family grew up in some poor neighborhoods in nyc. they have explained to me that these nyc poker clubs are mafia-related because if you run an illegal business in nyc the mafia is going to come to your doorstep and tell you that you are going to give them a portion of your earnings or they are going to make you an offer you cant refuse. the illegal poker clubs have nowhere to turn to because the police wont protect them so they pay the mafia for their protection and end up becoming a contributor to alot of other serious illegal operations without really having a choice.