View Single Post
Old 11-21-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Re: The Root of All Evil?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Paul is simply telling us that greed causes one to stray from his faith and brings unhappiness.

Let's focus on the spirit of the law.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is right on but I want to expand it a bit. Love of money is idolatry. Idolatry is not a bad thing because a jealous and powerful god will smite you if you worship something other than him - it is a bad thing b/c you become what you worship. That is, the negative consequences of worshipping money are a direct result of that worship, not a punishment imposed by a third party.

Worshipping money leads to conflict among men because money is perceived to be scarce. What I believe Jesus reveals about God is that God's love is infinite and therefore is not scarce, thus if humans realize that their being is fulfilled be receiving God's love they would avoid conflict over money.

Someone mentioned the Buddist idea of eliminating all desire - this a very interesting concept and headed in the right direction. But, my personal opinion is that to be human is to have desires, so this goal is quite unattainable.

However, limiting one's desire to God (which is the focus of the first few commandments (depending on how you count)) is an achievable and transformative goal. Following these commandments leads to peace and happiness not because God rewards his loyal followers but because they are actually good ideas that make it possible for human communites to exist without rivalry.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're twisting words around. Only I am allowed to do that [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The word "filargiria" [love of money] uses the root "filos" (I think; I don't know the old Greek), which denotes a not-very-intense kind of love. It is not agape. It basically just means liking money.

Secondly, with this logic, couldn't you argue that you're not supposed to really like ANYTHING? If I love another person, be it my girlfriend, wife, child, parent, whatever, isn't that a false idol?

*cue an atheist quoting Luke 14:26*