View Single Post
Old 11-21-2005, 02:30 AM

Default Re: 20/40 Live hand I played

Hi Jeremy,

It's always good to see posts from these games on this forum. Thanks for posting it.

I don't really like either your or your opponent's play here, though yours is better IMO. A lot hinges on how well he thinks he reads you, and whether he understands when to back off. From this one hand, it appears that he does neither that well.

[ QUOTE ]
It seems like I could only have one hand that likes this flop and that's 88 55 or AQ...If I re raise now he will fold all hands that I'm currently beating. I chose to play this hand with position so that I could extract the most money when I'm ahead and lose the minimum when behind. I opt to just call the flop and give him a chance to make a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, but if your read of his read of you is correct, then how could he make a mistake? If he knows your hand is at least AQ, and you in fact hold that "minimum", then you're just giving him a free shot to hit a card on you and probably bust you (it'd be different if he was right about your range, but you actually held a set).

As we saw, though, he either didn't read your call the way you thought, or couldn't help himself when he turned a OESFD; either way, he has issues. If I was in his spot after you called the flop, I'd only put the most nit-tight players on AQ+ as their range, but if I somehow did put you on that, I damn sure wouldn't bet 1200 with a fantastic draw. That bet doesn't move AQ, gets raised by sets, and I have to call. I'm either checking and responding to a bet as though I have 13 outs and will get it all in if I hit, or I'm moving all-in myself. Moving all-in says, "You called me once with a pair or a draw or whatever; I have one pair, it's better than your hand, and you're not moving me". His bet of 1200 was god-awful.

I think you played AQ too weakly for the conditions (shorthanded, in position, against a LAG), and got lucky because you hit. Usually, of course, he's taking your 240 bucks on the flop.