View Single Post
Old 11-21-2005, 12:20 AM

Default Gigabet\'s preflop play from \"Play a Hand with the Masters\"

Gigabet wrote in the summary section:
[ QUOTE ]
An example of a time when I would limp with AK would be at a table where the avg stack for the table is 100bb and the avg stack for the field is less than that. If another stack opens with a limp, and there are other limpers behind, quite often, I will choose to limp with AK. The value in raising off the limpers, IMO, is greatly reduced by the fact that you will usually win a small pot, or lose a big one. When I am in that position, I still raise frequently, but my hand selection moves to drawing hands, one or two gapped suited connectors and small pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are so many things I don't understand about this post. Here are just a few that I was hoping people could elaborate upon:

1) If there are say 3 limpers ahead of you, why would you raise preflop and not just limp as well? Is it so...

a) By making the pot bigger, you get opponents to committ themselves to a hand that could hit you hard on the flop?

b) You take control of the hand? And if so, then how do you plan on playing a flop where you have a flush or straight draw?

c) The goal is to get a 1 or 2 of the preflop limpers to fold so that you gain in preflop equity?

d) What situation is necessary for you to raise with suited connectors and small pocket pairs...how big must the other limpers chips stacks be?

Thanks for all your advice.