Thread: Los Angeles
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2005, 10:03 PM

Default Re: Los Angeles

I actually know all of the differences between the two, so I will answer your question. The cost of living is higher up north than in LA. Real estate is about 15% higher, on average (more in some places), and rent is also higher (though I don't know how much, probably 10-15%). The traffic and smog are much worse in LA than in the Bay Area. Where you would like to live is personal preference: some people are "LA guys" and some are "Bay guys."

As far as poker goes, the biggest games are at Commerce, of course. The maximum limit in San Jose is 200 bucks, so the biggest that they can spread is 100-200, but actually 80-160 is what is spread. This game always goes, and is very good. At Lucky Chances, they spread a big NL games two/three nights a week. It will always go, but can be a tough game. Personally, I think Bay 101 is the best place to play poker in the country.

The thing is in order to play bigger (and win) you have to be a very good player. There are only a few players who beat the big games at Commerece. If you are a hold em player, the biggest game is usually only 100-200, anyway, so it's not much different. If you play stud, then Commerce is a good spot. If you plan on playing in LA, you NEED to learn both games, at the very least. I'd also learn triple draw lowball games. This is the only way you can count on playing bigger than 100-200. However, you always need to be careful when playing high, no matter where you live. Finally, realize that playing 80/16-0 or 100/200 will get you all the money you'll ever need if you play very well and invest wisely. My suggestion to you is to play both places for a few months and see where you want to live. If you want to play smaller and make a living, either place is great, and the games in Vegas are super soft these days, and the cost of living is much less. Good luck.