View Single Post
Old 11-20-2005, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Notebook of a Gamer: \"Turtling\"

[ QUOTE ]
Very good post, the Starcraft and Magic examples really drive your point home.

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel exactly the same way - I am a high level Starcraft player (if anyone wants to talk strategy or play some games please feel free to PM me, I'm sure you all are better at poker than me) and played competitive Magic in the past (for those who are familiar with the game, Judgement to early Mirrodin, RG Beats / Mirari's Wake were my favorite decks.)

I think the real point is to really be relentless and take risks - the cliche is certainly right - "The best offense is the best defense". If your opponent is forced to always be on the defensive, it will be difficult for him to actually be aggressive towards you. I really do not have any sage poker advice I can say, but I can elaborate on the MTG and Starcraft examples.

Just like in a poker table, you can identify the relative skill of a Starcraft player within the first 5 minutes (I have an idea as soon as I enter his base with a scouting worker what kind of game I am in for), and indeed, most games are lost or won through opening game (at least in the mid/low-high skill levels).

It often hinges on one player taking a risk (to gain some sort of advantage, whether it be in technology or minerals), the other player not realizing the other players risk, and by not adapting, loses due to attrition and in the long run.

Similarly, in Magic, just as players in poker need to adapt to loose and tight players, a good magic player must identify their metagame (which is, what other decks are played in the area). If there are a lot of decks that rely on a certain concept, you may want to tweak your opposing deck to be stronger vs that sort of player. Although there is often one _best_ play in Magic, there are many close calls that really turns the odds of victory in your favor.

Ironically, I quit Magic after losing in a tournament I got deep in becuase I got "unlucky" twice. I then switched to Starcraft, where I felt the luck factor was less prevalent, and now here I am playing limit poker! What are the chances, or should I say odds, of that?