View Single Post
Old 11-20-2005, 07:44 AM

Default Re: Theoretical Question- Tight or Loose image?

I really don’t know strategically which image (tight or loose) would yield more profit in your hypothetical. It’s hard to say for certain vs. robotic opponents who do not change perception. However, I personally would like opponent’s to view me as loose.

Obviously you would destroy your average poker game with either image when your opponents can’t adjust. That is key here… in reality they can and do adjust, but on average they are itching to GAMBOOL!

First off I think it’s important to recognize that a tight image does have many benefits, but those benefits are primarily pre-flop. Your average player is not going to fold AX to your utg raise, even when you have an ultra tight image. They are going to play AX (and many other hands) no matter what. So we know these loose players are coming along pre-flop (usually behind), and that’s a good thing when you have a tight image. So in that respect, a tight image benefits you pre-flop since before the flop hits the felt, your loose opponents are usually taking the worst of it.

Problem is… most of your edge vs. run of the mill hold’em players is manifested post flop when decisions tend to get much more complicated. When your average opponent does not even know if they have pot odds for a five outer, are in reality drawing dead, and still call with bottom pair…That’s where the money is in limit hold’em. Average opponents are itching to make post flop mistakes (and we give them 3 post flop betting rounds to make them). Not folding mistakes, CALLING mistakes. They will make calling mistakes more readily vs. someone they view as loose.

I understand that a tight image has advantageous post flop implications as well, but lets face it, most of the errors your opponents make are calling errors. I’m with Caro in this regard, play off your opponents most common mistakes / tendencies. They want to call, give them a reason. Not many players are looking for a reason to fold.