View Single Post
Old 11-20-2005, 05:02 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Sony CDs Rootkit Your Systems (Bad news)

official buyback program with sony-provided mp3 downloads

amazon.com email informing all buyers that they are eligible for refunds

usa today article on recall

sony's list of affected items (all of which are being replaced in stores)

register article on rootkit-targetting trojan

sony's press statement on the issue via reuters

washington post article with a bush administration official admonishing sony

wired article on infection rates

free microsoft antispyware product updated to remove the rootkit

sony eula investigated after the attention was drawn to them along with possible illegal use of open source code

electronic frontier foundation soliciting feedback for a potential class-action lawsuit

another class-action lawsuit from news.com

with the waiter comment i was literally talking about waiters and restaurants. it was inspired by the belief that boycotting sony for 2 years is a boner move. i wasn't suggesting that people contact sony or try to get free stuff or whatever from them. they're painfully aware of the problem already because the media has 'contacted the manager'. i was talking about how i think it's dumb to take a good idea like not getting walked on as a customer and proceeding to [censored] yourself by refusing to patronize an otherwise good establishment instead of actually getting them to address the problem. so i think people who love the food and hate the service that never go back after the first trip are dumb. separate, but similar topic.

i guess i'm a real freedom-hating heretic for suggesting that this topic just might have been noticed already. for weeks now you can't read the news without running into the story.

does this mean i don't care? no. does this mean i'm not going to [censored] myself over and refuse to buy a playstation 3 or whatever if it's a product i want? that's exactly what it means.