View Single Post
Old 11-20-2005, 02:06 AM

Default Re: VPIP and strategy, how to adjust for higher limits

Yes there is more variance in limit, but that is also why there are a lot of bad players available even in the mid-limits (including some passive, straightforward to read players). They will lose all their money in the long run just like in no limit, but the long run takes longer to get to.

So you can probably make as much in limit, but the variance is higher so you need a bigger bankroll. Playing professionally, you should have several months of living expenses saved away and several hundred big bets (at least 300, probably 400-500 since you are pro). If you make it to 5-10, that's a hefty requirement.

Honestly, I don't see how multitabling low-limit games (NL or limit) is really a sustainable profession. It becomes very tedious and your hourly rate will slowly decline as the fish become slightly less worse (assuming that the influx of horrible poker players peaked already) unless you make improvements to your game.

I think you should seriously consider transitioning to higher limits in either NL or limit, whichever game suits your strengths better (with some weight given to NL because you have more experience with it). Since you are pro, you still to need to rely on multitabling your current NL game, but you should try to set aside a certain amount of money for playing in the next highest limit. That bankroll need not be very high (enough to have a few buy-ins, but as long as you don't dip into your regular bankroll you're fine) and the point is to use that money to try to beat the tougher games. That means playing just one table, and just focusing on learning how to adapt your play to tougher opponents.

If you're happy with your situation and feel confident that you won't burn out, then maybe this advice is not for you. I just offer it as something to consider.