View Single Post
Old 11-19-2005, 10:23 PM

Default Re: Calling raises early on with PP to hit sets?

[ QUOTE ]
This is very interesting, but I have one other question. Let's say you lose 100 chips 9 times, but another time you win 1,000 (not saying with the specific situation of a pp, but just a hypatehtical). By PT it would apprear that the net ammount of chips won/lost is zero. But in relation to SNGs, which is more profitable to us? Which will get us ITM more, and which will help us win more? I'm not actually sure myself, but ICM should be able to tell us. But I'm pretty sure the odds are not exactly the same. Instinctively, that's why I'd call with p pairs even if overall they are break even. Because it feels like the time I double up I gain more than the many times I lose 30-50 chips out of my thousand. But I don't have any data to back this up. Can anyone help me out here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, whether or not having a big stack helps you incrementally more than losing chips hurts you has been up for debate for quite a while (see Gig's block threads). But ICM isn't the place to go to support that argument.

According to ICM in a percentage-payout tournament, doubling your stack does not double your EV, and losing half of your stack does not cut your EV in half.

So losing chips hurts worse than gaining chips helps. That is the underlying reason why your chips are "worth more" the shorter your stack is.

Irieguy